The Ministry of Transport says investigations are underway into the alleged misuse of GH¢40 million released in 2024 for the rehabilitation of the Accra–Achimota–Nsawam railway line.
Transport Minister Joseph Bukari Nikpe said the ministry became aware of the matter through the Chief Executive of the Railway Development Authority and has since initiated investigations to determine what happened to the funds.
Speaking to journalists on Wednesday, May 20, the minister disclosed that concerns were raised over the failure to execute the rehabilitation project despite the release of the funds.
“This has come to my notice through the Chief Executive of the Railway Development Authority, and those were issues that happened in 2024,” he stated.
According to the minister, officials reported that although GH¢40 million had been allocated for rehabilitation works on the Accra–Achimota–Nsawam railway line, the project was not carried out.
“They actually raised these issues that in 2024, an amount of GH¢40 million was released for the rehabilitation of the Accra-Achimota-Nsawam rail line, but it wasn’t done, and it is a matter of investigation,” he explained.
Mr. Nikpe stressed that the ministry has already taken steps to investigate the matter and is awaiting the outcome of the probe.
“It is already something the ministry is aware of, and we have taken steps to investigate,” he said.
He added that the final investigative report will establish whether the funds were embezzled, misapplied or diverted for other purposes.
“We are hoping that when the investigations are concluded, we will know the truth about the matter, about who embezzled what or what happened,” the minister added.
Adoa News Adoa News